As pet owners, we all have a responsibility—not just to our pets but also to the environment. One of the many decisions pet owners face is the type of waste bags to use. In this post, we’ll explore the difference between biodegradable and regular plastic pet waste bags, and why your choice matters.
Why Pet Waste Bags are Essential
Pet waste, if not handled properly, can have significant environmental implications. Besides being a nuisance, it can contaminate water sources and spread harmful bacteria. Thus, ensuring that you pick up after your pet and use the right kind of bags is crucial.
Regular Plastic Bags: The Old Guard
Many pet owners use regular plastic bags, often repurposed grocery bags, to pick up after their pets. Here’s what you should know:
- Longevity: Regular plastic bags can take hundreds of years to decompose. This longevity means that every plastic bag used will stay around for several lifetimes.
- Environmental Impact: As they break down, plastic bags release harmful chemicals into the soil, which can then find their way into groundwater and harm plant and animal life.
Biodegradable Bags: The Green Alternative
These are bags designed to break down more quickly than traditional plastics.
- Composition: Often made from plant-based materials like cornstarch, these bags are designed to decompose within months to a few years, depending on the conditions.
- Environmental Benefits: Biodegradable bags minimize long-term waste, reduce the release of harmful chemicals, and leave a smaller carbon footprint.
- Versatility: Many biodegradable bags are also compostable. However, it’s essential to ensure your municipality allows the composting of pet waste.
There’s a slight price difference with biodegradable bags often being a tad more expensive than their plastic counterparts. However, the environmental benefits they offer far outweigh the minor cost difference.
Why Department of Doody Recommends Biodegradable Bags
At the Department of Doody, our mission aligns with responsible pet ownership and eco-friendly solutions. By choosing biodegradable bags, you’re not just making a choice for today but setting a precedent for a healthier, cleaner tomorrow.
Choosing between biodegradable and regular plastic bags is more than just a matter of preference—it’s about responsibility. While the upfront cost of biodegradable bags may be slightly higher, the long-term environmental benefits make them a worthy investment. Make the switch today, and play your part in keeping our planet clean and green! For more information on our services, contact us today!